Back on the Tubes

After I think 6 weeks of slow torture I have my computer setup on a desk connected to the internet. When I first started my computer last Thursday I had a keyboard problem. Basicly anything connected to the PS/2 port would not work, which means I had to go buy a new keyboard. My first instinct was to get the G15 (version 2). $100 seems like a lot for a keyboard, but considering you cannot buy a keyboard that isnt wireless its a small price to pay to not have to use batteries for no reason. Oh and the LCD display and back lit keys.... I never remember keyboards being so expensive, mainly because they are wireless and the masses think this is somehow better. I never thought spending more than $50 on a keyboard unless it was somehow special. A lot of the keyboards I saw were just standard keyboards with a wireless module.

The quality of the keyboard was lacking, the key mechanism hadn't changed. And apart from adding a few media buttons its just stupid. Most manufacturers are focusing on wireless which means they are not updating the wired keyboards except in the gaming section. I figured since I am most likely to be buying a new computer early next year, I would wait till then to get something decent. But until then I did not want to live in the poverty of a shitty keyboard. So I went to buy a middle of the ground Logitech Media keyboard. Its an entry level keyboard. But they were sold out. So I ended up getting the 600. I didn't think there was much difference between the 2 except the volume jog dial. But after getting it home it really is better. The keys don't move around and its a lot quieter to type on. It also had low profile keys, much like a laptop, but a bit more depth and normal size keys. Its actually quite pleasant to type on. As you don't need to waste energy on pressing so hard. Another feature is its spill resistant. Didn't understand what this meant. What they have done is drilled some holes in the bottom so that any liquids just pass through it (think pencil in space) and the shiny black plastic is actually quite nice. I also thought the lack of a wrist rest would mean its uncomfortable, but the fact that its so damn skinny means you don't need it. I have a pretty standard MS keyboard at work it has a wrist rest and it seems that you only need the wrist rest if the actual position of the keys are far away from the desk. Also whats the point of having a plastic wrist rest. It should always be padded somehow with fake leather.

No comments: